I realized everyone in the guild is not at the same skill level and I wanted everyone to participate. I made up three paper pieced patterns all at 6 ½” square. The easiest pattern was the piano key border, made up of 3 x (2 ½” x 6 ½”) pieces. The next level of difficulty was the flying geese. Everyone loves flying geese. It’s a quilt staple. A square of geese consisted of 3 geese at 2 ½” x 6 ½”. Lastly the most difficult was the star unit I took from a Carol Doak book. A 6 ½” quarter star was paper pieced in 2 pieces then sewn together. Only the more advanced ladies in our guild took this pattern. After drafting all three patterns, I figured out what size pieces needed to be cut for each and wrote basic instructions on each pattern. I photocopied each pattern and Susan offered to cut up the Kona. Each of the Kona pieces would make 2 blocks. The ladies of the guild were to donate bright batiks from their stash for the insides of the star, geese and piano keys.
Its almost summer break. I’ve been handing out patterns and silver Kona for 2 months now. I keep reminding the ladies of the guild that I need their squares by the September meeting. I had no clue as to what I would get in return.
The September meeting arrives and I get all sorts of blocks tossed at me. I received 60 quarter star blocks, 55 flying geese blocks and 100 piano key blocks. I only needed 52 piano key blocks to make the outer border so ended up putting the remainder on the back side.
My committee got together one morning. I put up a design wall and we played with stars, geese paths. When we had the quilt designed where we all seemed to agree, we switched a few blocks around for better color distribution. I went shopping with another committee member to find that skinny ½” inner border. Many batiks later and climbing up and down a ladder for a better visual, we decided the black with small orange spots popped the most. I found an orange batik backing that coordinated. We met up again to stitch the inner border and all those piano keys.